Today I took a break from the patchwork and did some other sewing.
First though, I did the ironing. While I was doing it I discovered a tear in the ironing board cover. I had noticed recently that it was getting close to wearing out.
Here is what I salvaged: padding which I reused and also used as a pattern, bundle of polyester binding from the edge, elastic and clip from the edge, 2 velcro straps from underneath, edge strip which I used as a pattern.
The fabric I used for the new cover is part of an op shop quilt cover that I bought last year. I used the front to make a tablecloth for a work event and I had the backing left over. I don’t think the quilt had been used and the fabric is 100% cotton.
This the almost finished cover. I just had to do some adjustments to the velcro straps which go underneath the board. They were not long enough to go across my board so I had not used them previously. I replaced the short end with some cotton tape so that I could use them.
I re-used most of the original cover when I made the new one. The pile on the left is the cotton fabric which has gone into the compost. On the right is the rubbish pile – remnants of foam which has almost disintegrated in places, the polyester thread from the unpicking (not visible) and the 2 short lengths of velcro that I replaced with cotton tape.
And a preview of things to come – starting from tomorrow and continuing each Monday for several weeks, I will begin a series titled ‘Project Streamline’. It is a natural progression (for me) from my participation in Project 333. Please drop in and feel free to offer your thoughts/advice or you may like to join in.
See you tomorrow.